Search

#Knowwhatyouareeating

#Knowwhatyouareeating, our local mushrooms are fresh and untreated!

The use of sodium hydroxide on food is permitted in Canada. https://www.canada.ca/.../list.../8-other-accepted-uses.html

The shelf life of mushrooms varies from 1 to 4 days at room temperature (20–25 °C). Thus there is a risk of contamination and loss of phenolic compounds and their ability to reduce free radicals. Chemical coating treatments such as CaCl2 and chitosan solution in citric acid increase shelf life.

Chitosan /ˈkaɪtəsæn/ is a linear polysaccharide composed of randomly distributed β--linked D-glucosamine and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine. It is made by treating the chitin shells of shrimp and other crustaceans with an alkaline substance, like sodium hydroxide.

The strongest base, sodium hydroxide, also known as Lye or Caustic Soda, finds extensive applications in our daily lives. Sodium hydroxide is used to manufacture soaps, cotton, rayon, petroleum, natural gas, and vegetable refining. Unfortunately, this white and odorless, non-volatile aqueous solution can be very poisonous for the skin and deadly if ingested. Owing to its extreme reactivity, NaOH is corrosive in nature. Therefore, it has to be handled with extreme care; carelessness in its storage can lead to dangerous consequences.

When swallowed or ingested, lye can be very dangerous and can irritate the respiratory tract lining. The severity of the hazards can be understood because it causes burns and inflammation in the organs; if it passes through them, it can cause bleeding, vomiting, and diarrhea!

Inhalation of sodium hydroxide can also result in inflammation of the respiratory tract leading to lung problems. Fever, sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, and pneumonia are some of the severe consequences of coming in contact with sodium hydroxide.




1 view0 comments